Nature 164, 871-872 (19 November 1949) | doi:10.1038/164871a0

British Boot, Shoe and Allied Trades Research Association

H. BRADLEY

Top

Opening of New Laboratories THE British Boot, Shoe and Allied Trades Research Association was one of the first to be incorporated. It started in the town of Northampton in a very small way in 1919. At that time, when the research association movenient was quite new, the principle obtained that anything was better than nothing in the way of science in industry, and this Association began with a trade contribution income of only £500 a year. During the first four years it remained small and its staff was only part-time. In 1922 steps were taken to put the Association on to a more national basis, and it was towards the end of that year that a full-time director was appointed, the headquarters were moved to London, a small staff duly appointed, and a beginning made with full-time work in somewhat incommodious premises in City Road, E.G. In 1927 a move was made to better accommodation in Bedford Square, W.C. These premises were damaged early in the air raids of 1940 and the Association went to temporary accommodation in the Boot and Shoe Technical School, Kettering, where the work was carried on through the War. When the War ended, search was made for suitable premises in the Midland area for the Association’s permanent home, it being almost impossible to find suitable accommodation in London. A house in Kettering with reasonable area of land was acquired and at the beginning of 1947 the Association took it over. In due course the erection of extensions was begun, culminating in the opening of the new laboratories at Satra House by the Duke of Gloucester on October 28.