Recent developments in genomics have led to expanded carrier screening panels capable of assessing hundreds of causal mutations for genetic disease. This new technology enables simultaneous measurement of carrier frequencies for many diseases. As the resultant rank-ordering of carrier frequencies impacts the design and prioritization of screening programs, the accuracy of this ranking is a public health concern.
A total of 23,453 individuals from many obstetric, genetics, and infertility clinics were referred for routine recessive disease carrier screening. Multiplex carrier screening was performed and results were aggregated for this study.
Twenty-four percent of individuals were identified as carriers for at least one of 108 disorders, and 5.2% were carriers for multiple disorders. We report tabulations of carrier frequency by self-identified ethnicity and disease.
To our knowledge, this study of a large, ethnically diverse clinical sample provides the most accurate measurements to date of carrier frequencies for hundreds of recessive alleles. The study also yields information on the clinical considerations associated with routine use of expanded panels and provides support for a pan-ethnic screening paradigm that minimizes the use of “racial” categories by the physician, as recommended by recent guidelines.
Genet Med 2013:15(3):178–186
carrier frequency; carrier screening; genetic testing; pan-ethnic; recessive disease
- Preconception and Prenatal Carrier Screening for Cystic Fibrosis. Clinical and Laboratory Guidelines. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists: Washington, DC, 2001. .
- Committee opinion no. 325: update on carrier screening for cystic fibrosis. Obstet Gynecol 2005;106:1465–1468. .
- Carrier screening for spinal muscular atrophy. Genet Med 2008;10:840–842. ; Professional Practice and Guidelines Committee.
- Early Experiences of Prenatal Genetic Counselors With Spinal Muscular Atrophy Carrier Testing [Thesis]. Brandeis University: Waltham, MA, 2010. .
- Genetic testing of sperm donors: survey of current practices. Fertil Steril 2010;94:126–129. .
- Committee opinion no. 432: spinal muscular atrophy. Obstet Gynecol 2009;113:1194–1196. .
- Practice bulletin no. 78: hemoglobinopathies in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2007;109: 229–237. .
- Committee opinion no. 442: preconception and prenatal carrier screening for genetic diseases in individuals of Eastern European Jewish descent. Obstet Gynecol 2009;14:950–953. .
- Carrier screening in individuals of Ashkenazi Jewish descent. Genet Med 2008;10:54–56. ; Professional Practice and Guidelines Committee.
- Experience with carrier screening and prenatal diagnosis for 16 Ashkenazi Jewish genetic diseases. Hum Mutat 2010;31:1240–1250. .
- http://www.genome.gov/sequencingcosts. Accessed 2 September 2011. . DNA Sequencing Costs: Data from the NHGRI Large-Scale Genome Sequencing Program.
- A universal carrier test for the long tail of Mendelian disease. Reprod Biomed Online 2010;21:537–551. , et al.
- Is cystic fibrosis carrier screening cost effective? Community Genet 2007;10:103–109. .
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of prenatal population-based fragile X carrier screening. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2005;192:1905–12; discussion 1912. .
- Human Genetics: The Molecular Revolution, 1st ed. Jones and Bartlett: Sudbury, MA, 1993. .
- Estimating African American admixture proportions by use of population-specific alleles. Am J Hum Genet 1998;63:1839–1851. , et al.
- The ethics of characterizing difference: guiding principles on using racial categories in human genetics. Genome Biol 2008;9:404. , et al.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2011, 130th ed. Washington, DC, 2010. .
- Attitudinal barriers to delivery of race-targeted pharmacogenomics among informed lay persons. Genet Med 2003;5:385–392. .
- Views on personalized medicine: do the attitudes of African American and white prescription drug consumers differ? Public Health Genomics 2010;13:276–283. , et al.
- Cystic fibrosis carrier testing in an ethnically diverse US population. Clin Chem 2011;57:841–848. , et al.
- The prevalence and clinical characteristics of cystic fibrosis in South Asian Canadian immigrants. Arch Dis Child 2005;90:675–679. , et al.
- Identification of a common mutation in the carnitine palmitoyltransferase II gene in familial recurrent myoglobinuria patients. Nat Genet 1993;4: 314–320. .
- DHCR7 mutation carrier rates and prevalence of the RSH/Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome: where are the patients? Am J Med Genet A 2006;140:2057–2062. .
- Origins and frequencies of SLC26A4 (PDS) mutations in east and south Asians: global implications for the epidemiology of deafness. J Med Genet 2003;40:242–248. , et al.
- No association for Chinese HBV-related hepatocellular carcinoma susceptibility SNP in other East Asian populations. BMC Med Genet 2012;13:47. , et al.
- The Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome. J Med Genet 2000;37:321–335. .
- Pan-ethnic carrier screening and prenatal diagnosis for spinal muscular atrophy: clinical laboratory analysis of >72,400 specimens. Eur J Hum Genet 2012;20:27–32. , et al.
- Serendipitous diagnosis of mild recessive multiple epiphyseal dysplasia through parental-targeted screening test. Am J Med Genet A 2011;155A:3136–3138. .
- Multiple epiphyseal dysplasia: clinical and radiographic features, differential diagnosis and molecular basis. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 2008;22:19–32. .